Monday, February 14, 2011

Our Trip to Boston--October 2010

So this post is a little out of order. I thought I was almost through 2010, and realized I hadn't included these. This trip was practically spur of the moment--planned about 2 weeks in advance. We were planning on a family trip to Cali to go see Danaan, Disneyland, etc., but those plans sorta got FIRED (ha ha), so rather than bag the whole vacation idea......we, being the selfish parents we are, decided to go on a little trip just ourselves. (It helps that I was already pregnant and we felt we really would need one before #3 came). So, long story short, I have been dying to go see Wicked, and turns out the only place it was playing at the time we could get away, was in Boston! I've always wanted to go there, and Spence was ok with it, so off we went! Thankfully Grandma and Grandpa were great and took our girls for the week!

We packed alot into our 6 day trip! These pics are for our blog book, so be warned, there are a lot!

Day 2: Boston Commons

 This tree was amazing--up close it's branches just float on the water. I've never seen such beautiful and OLD trees.


 Graveyard where Paul Revere is buried. These headstones were SO awesome: tilted, crumbling, cracked, and barely legible. This is one of the oldest graveyards in America.

 Paul Revere's headstone. People threw money and other 'good luck charms' around it....not sure why...



 Headstone for Benjamin Franklin's parents. He had the larger monument behind the headstone built for them.

 Samuel Adam's headstone.
 Boston Opera House--where we saw Wicked that night.
 Beacon Hill
 Gate outside Boston Commons
 Cheers Bar (the original bar on Beacon Hill).
 George Washington monument. First statue made to honor him in America.

 Some important building during the Revolution. There are a lot of pics of these. Don't remember what they are, but just feel important gazing at them.
 Us at the Boston Opera House that night. We look super happy because the usher lady who I politely asked to take our picture was rather grouchy. I guess our faces reflect hers. :)
 Wicked was AMAzing! How else to describe it!? Just amazing!
Day 3: We thought we'd be smart and drive from Burlington (where we were staying) into Boston, rather than ride the train in that day and WALK everywhere. After finding zero parking and driving for an hour and a half, we ditched the car outside Fenway Park (Pahk) and explored on foot again.

 Fenway Park was unfortunately closed that day, for some reason, but at least we got to see the outside...

On Harvard campus. For me, cuz I'm a nerd, this was SO fun! I really wanted to find the Harvard bookstore, and we wandered for quite a bit, since the place labeled "Harvard Bookstore" was NOT the real deal. I had to accost a sweet little asian student and ask her where the 'real' bookstore was. It's called "The Coop"--go figure.

 Widener Library
 John Harvard
 Something else
 Spence on the steps of Widener, looking collegiate in his pink and purple backpack (that we had to buy since we were dumb and didn't take one, and figured we may as well get one that one of the girls could use later on).
Ah, riding the subway. When we were lucky enough to find a seat, I'd park it and never want to move. We really walked our tootsies off. Like I said, we planned this trip last minute, and didn't take into consideration things like all the walking we'd do (so I packed zero comfy walking shoes), and how COLD it would be that far north in October (in the 40's and humid), so luckily Spence packed my rain jacket for me, otherwise, I would have had nothing. Regardless, we managed and still had FUN!


Day 4: On our crazy-trying-to-figure-out-where-we-were-headed travels from Burlington to Boston, we happened upon the Boston Temple! We never would have found it otherwise.


 I had to buy a sweatshirt and socks to stay warm, but after 2 days of non stop walking, I ditched all my regular shoes and opted for my most comfy--my flip flops. I'd rather have cold comfy feet than warm hurty ones.
 Getting ready for our Duck Tour--inside the Children's Musuem there. This was a really cool tour--would recommend it for anyone going to Boston. These boats (like the one behind my behind) go on land and water, and we got to see so much of Boston (not on foot-whew) and learned so much from our tour guide.
 Some large church there--it's really old, and I think some Olympic gold medalist ice skater got married there. That's what I remember.
 John Hancock building on Beacon Hill. Hancock almost primarily funded the Revolution out of his own funds, and had this building built, where he lived for a time. (Remembered more of this one).
 Bunker Hill bridge. It looks just like the monument.
 Oldest bridge in America. The King of England had reports back from American map-makers about the river in Boston and had the Charles River named after his son, and this bridge built over it with his name on it. We learned that at the time of the first colonists in Boston, that most of Boston was covered by the river, and has since been built up significantly due to man made landfill.

After our tour, we hoofed it all over again, wanting to walk the Freedom Trail that runs from Bunker Hill all the way through Boston, stopping at each significant landmark in the city. On our way there, we passed Boston Garden.

And found the USS Constitution. George Washington had this ship commissioned, and sailed on it himself. It's still a part of the US Navy and is the oldest commissioned warship on the waters. It's nickname is "Old Ironsides' due to the heavy wood construction of it's sides, and during battle, not one cannonball penetrated it's sides.
 Cannons inside.
 Steering wheel (Is that what it's called?)
 Bunker Hill Monument
 Chapel at Bunker Hill
 Church where Paul Revere lit the lantern when he saw the British coming.
 Paul Revere statue
Original cobblestone streets.
 Canoli's!!! My first. Everywhere we'd go, people would be holding these little white pastry boxes that said "Mike's Pastry", and I heard someone talking about their canolis. Being in Boston we had to try three things: Clam Chowder, Boston Cream Pie (from there), and the canolis (because of Little Italy and their amazing food there). So, I was on a mission (hey-i am pregnant!) to find out where this place was! I had to accost yet someone else and ask them, and they pointed me in the right direction. SO worth it.

There's me, my own white box, and Mike's Pastry. They do ship anywhere in the country. 10 canolis=$30 bucks.
 After finding Mike's we continued on the red brick path (freedom trail), and just happened to look up and see Paul Revere's house. This little sign is all that denotes that's what it is. We may have missed it altogether.
 His house across the street.
 And more shots (out of order) of the USS Constitution. The hammocks the men slept in.
 Below deck
On our last day there, we went to the JFK Presidential Library in South Boston. Overall Boston is a beautiful clean city, the people are really friendly and nice, and I was so impressed with everything! I could totally live there...if I didn't have to take the train everywhere. Sigh.


 Next stop was the Musuem of Fine Arts. By the time we got there, we only had just over an hour to see it, which when you pay $20 a person, kinda really is crappy--but we had to do it regardless. Truth be told, I was SO tired, that even after one hour I was ready to call it quits. (But I did love it). We ate pizza at the best little hole in the wall just across the street from the musuem. I would love to go back.
 Church downtown just next to where the beginning of the Boston Marathon takes place.
 These tortoise and hare statues are in honor of the marathon.
Cheers bar at Fanueil Hall. Spence and Normie.


 Fanueil Hall. It seems every night almost we'd end up back here--hungry, tired, and happy to know where we were and how to get home from here! These buildings used to be right on the river, and dock ports for loading goods in and out of Boston. Quincy Market was one of our favorites, because we found lots of great souvenirs and food!
Yeah for Boston! It was a whirlwind trip--jam packed and not the sort you take when you want to just veg (missed out on that part), but it's such a neat place, everywhere you look (literally) and step you are on some historical monument. We learned a lot and I would love to take our kids there!

Funny moments from the trip:*Guy who barfed on the plane and literally sprayed everyone and everything in a 4 foot radius (thankfully we were not in that circle).
*Guy at the toll booth who sorta patiently tried explaining what you do at the toll booth: "This is a TOLL booth, and this is a TOLL road".
*Not getting to sit by each other at Wicked, due to last minute ticket buying.
*The people sitting by Spence at Wicked asking him what his CTR ring meant..and then him finding out they were pulling his leg and were members.
*How many Dunkin Donuts there are in Boston.
*Thinking that Rory Gilmore went to Harvard the whole time we were there and then remembering she went to Yale (yes we are Gilmore Girl nerdies).
*Having to RUN at a mad dash everytime we switched planes in Atlanta and never having a chance to eat! (So sad for pregnant lady!)

1 comment:

Chris,Celeste,Baylee,& Dax said...

Holy hell that was a looooong post, but looks like you had fun! Love you guys!